Thursday 26 June 2008

Inappropriate appointments

Throughout the year I have been studying for a Masters in broadcast journalism. It's something that I hoped would better my mind, my soul...and my job prospects. Not once did it enter my head that it would be a fantastic opportunity to: out myself as a Gypsy; uncover Rotherham pensioners so rabid for a Nintendo Wii that they would put themselves through a death defying (well, hopefully) triathlon (plus battle with the tremendous urge to link together "pensioners" and "Wii" in a way entirely disrespectful to people who fought in a war and essentially allowed me to exist); not to mention investigating the abuse of a long overlooked minority...the gingers.

Now you may be thinking: "they're so cutting edge I almost cut my eye reading about them"; or "sweet jesus, her finger's so firmly on the pulse those stories have got heartbeats." But what's more likely is: "bloody hell, what a fantastic waste of five grand."

Well, dear readers, you'll be pleased to hear that my latest project maintains the grand traditions I set out this year...

Breastfeeding.

So, after a year of pitching stories to my tutor about my unique selling points (ginger and a Gypsy...hasn't god got a sense of humour) only to receive silence and an arched brow, I now had to tell her that I wanted to spend the summer filming boobs. Marvellous.

There was one thing that cushioned the blow, however; the fact that the spokesperson for encouraging women to breastfeed is none other than....

Theo Walcott.

Yes, sweet, baby faced young Theo hopes to boost the number of women in the UK who feed babies from their bosoms.

I'm confused. Was the boy hoping for a free lunch? Is this the most inappropriate appointment ever? What next - OJ Simpson as ambassador for justice? Osama Bin Laden as judge for the nobel peace prize?

I shall keep you updated over the next few weeks which I am now only referring to as "Mammary Month."

2 comments:

Kate said...

Oh no you didn't....blog GEEK! You've been spending too much time with Rhoda Emily. I will write something more insightful when I've recovered from the shock.

Skelton said...

Watton wonders never cease!! Must admit ive been hard pressed to get my comment on here what with all the 'blogging' going on!!!

Never done this thing before but, as they say, your never too old to try new sandals.

Breastfeeding. Not for me. All women who do it have breasts like spanials ears and look like a cross between Pete Doherty and Elma Fudd.

Next silly topic.